Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day Wishes

I am thankful for the opportunity to experience mothers day. To have in my arms, after years of trying, a double dose of Schilldren to lavish me with macaroni pictures and burned toast. I still find myself wincing at all the "Happy Mothers Day...if you're a mom" choruses from everybody you encounter. I remember the sting of those words. "if you're a mom" if? or the "Are you a mom?" to which I would simply reply "No" while my heart screamed "But I ache to be!!" It feels like a cruel day to a mom who has yet to meet her baby. A Mom who has tried to start or grow their family and has been met with a challenge at every turn.

Once upon a time I wasn't a mom, I was struggling. I longed to be pregnant. I ached to have a child. My body betrayed me and my face could only smile in the crowd for so long before I would have to hide. This day brings all that back just a little. I hear "Happy Mother's Day" in chipper tones but remember how much it hurt.

We used the time we were a family of two to dream of what our family would look like. We armchair parented our way through the situations our friends with children found themselves to be in. We started traditions we would eventually fold the Schilldren into as they joined our brood. So Happy Mothers Day to all my friends who have already added to their family of two. And Happy Mothers Day to those of you who are still waiting to meet your babies, take heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for recognizing those mommies who have either not gotten to meet their babies yet, or had their babies go to heaven before them. I think this day is to recognize everyone who has the heart of a mother... no matter if your children are here in your arms, foster children, angel babies, or just simply not here yet. Today I very much enjoyed spending time with my 3 earthly children, but my heart yearned to be spending the day with my 2 angel babies as well! Thank you for recognizing them on this day also, as they will ALWAYS be my babies, and I will ALWAYS be their Momma! <3 <3 <3