Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"It's a wonderful life"

I have this phrase matted and in a frame hanging on my wall.  It's a curious story how it came to live with me.  I bought it as a present for a friend years ago and yet, on my wall is where it hangs.  I had placed it gently into the van and then my toddler stepped on it climbing out of their car seat.  I heard a single pop and noticed later that the glass was broken. I was so disappointed that it was broken.  I waffled back and forth back and forth on what to do.  Returning it for a replacement popped in my head for a moment but that would have been like stealing to me.  The store didn't break the glass.  The store shouldn't lose out on their profit simply because of our accident.  I thought about buying another one but simply didn't have the extra money in my budget at the time.  It sat on a shelf for a while in the department store bag, forgotten.  Months had passed and I discovered it in a cleaning spree of my closet.  This time I pulled it out of the bag and read the words "It's a wonderful life" with the words "wonderful life" written even bigger in the background in big block letters.  And there in the middle of this wonderful life was a giant break in the glass.  I fell in love.  There could not have been a truer statement.  This is a wonderful life.  With all the breaks in our glass. It's through the flaws and the hurt, the difficult and the struggle that we are able to appreciate the strengths and the love, the easy and the journey.  It's been on my wall for many years.  Anytime people mention the break and how easy it would be to get it fixed I am reminded of the story and why I like the broken.  My Mom has helped me move several times and "It's a wonderful life" became part of our moving dance.
Hey Kam, the glass in this frame got broken in the move
Aww man! Which frame? Is the picture damaged? (usually from another room so I headed to see)
Nothing is damaged it's just a crack in the glass but it goes all the way through.
Oh, *that* I know, it's been like that since I bought it. 
By this time I would be standing next to her and I would go through the whole story.  She would fill in the details I'd forget because by  now she knew the story.  And our dance. 
I am so blessed and thankful for that frame, those conversations, and the fact that despite the broken in my life right now I know that it is still wonderful.


No comments: