Monday, February 22, 2010

AAAaaaaaaand Sleep!

Bedtime routine at our house is rather lengthy. Not so much that we lose our minds but sometimes it hovers precariously close to the brink of insanity. Bedtime is announced every night at promptly 8 and the children respond with a shocked gasp every night at 8:01. They feel everyday that surely THIS shall be the day that bedtime simply does not come. In their defense weekends are a bit more lax and vacations well…..that’s a whole other story. After the announcement we commence getting on jammies and brushing teeth. We then have a vitamin race and see who can eat their vitamin the fastest. The kids get their beds made on them and sometimes if Joshua is in the mood he will read with Jeremy for a bit. Sometimes Jeremy will snuggle the babies on his lap and they will giggle together as he reads Calvin & Hobbes. I always sing Joshua 2 songs of his choice and Kaity will read 3-5 chapters of whatever book she’s currently devouring. All that back story brings me to tonight. Kaity was getting prayers and snuggled by Jeremy and she says to him in hushed tones “Mary is blind…can you believe it? “ Jeremy sounded genuinely concerned as he talked to her about it and then she said “ummm…from my book Daddy, the girl from my book” so he asked her what story she was reading and she told him all about “The Little House on the Prairie” series she’s reading. I love to hear her talk about her book people, she loves them and worries about them and they are real and I love that. She will ask to read another chapter if her people are in peril or if they are almost done with their adventure. I remember being that way with books when I was her age and it’s so cool to see it in my baby girl. Of course her Daddy then says “oh yeah, I remember seeing that episode.” Gee, thanks dadd-o! She is interested in seeing an episode or two though, she wonders if the people look the same as they do in her head.

No comments: