Monday, September 6, 2010

Define family...

who does it include? for how long? As a child I would have answered forever. Then my Daddy died and my concept of forever was shattered. For a while I would have answered it was what you what you were born into. Then I realized those are the people you are related to. Family, true family, was taught to me as a military spouse. I have family all across the country. Some I even found in other countries. I may only live near them or know them up close for a season but the love that our families share isn't contingent on the distance we live from one another. They love me and protect me, cherish me and encourage me. I do the same for them. It's not a favor to be traded or returned it's simply taking care of my family. I know the phenomenon isn't something that the military family has cornered but I do think it's something that exists more often within our ranks. When you have the broad wings that the pcs'ing adventure of military life gives you also learn to grow roots quickly. deep roots. The kind that don't notice the time that's passed since the last time you spoke on the phone. or the last time you hung out in person. Roots that are sustaining.

3 comments:

~Gretchen~ said...

so true, love it

PJ said...

as an adult I've discovered that your family is made up of more than the people you share blood with, it's the people you share your heart with

Rose said...

I was once told, "friends are the family you choose." I like how you specified those we're "related to."

I hope you had a lovely birthday!