Tuesday, September 21, 2010

There's this boy....

I get the honor of schooling at my kitchen table. 5 days a week. rain or shine he shows up. Some days are better than others. Some days he struggles because being in 1st grade is hard. I relish in the fact that I am the one who gets to pour knowledge into him, it is rather selfish really. I love that I get to see the wheels turning as a concept is introduced and the eyebrows furrow ever so slightly as he is figuring it all out. Then as he beams with pride and shows of a newly acquired skill I am the one he looks to. I am the one he heralds as teacher. I was almost late to a dental appointment today because he was telling me all about magnets and magnetic poles and how only certain metals are attracted to a magnet. Telling me like it was the first time I'd ever heard it. Telling me like I hadn't spent the past half an hour reading the book and doing experiments with him. Telling me it first hand because the wheels had turned and the gears had caught and he had LEARNED it. He knew what he was talking about. During our history time we were talking about having a jealous heart. We talked about Cain and Abel and how their hearts were different and how God knows our hearts. My sweet Joshypot sat thoughtfully and said "I think I am more like Cain than Abel, I should ask God to fix that huh?" We had the best discussion about jealousy and being gracious. We talked in great detail and I was thoroughly impressed as he grasped the concept of right vs. wrong. How even the right actions with the wrong intention was displeasing to God. I was about to close the books and move on and he looked up at me and arched an eyebrow and said in a hushed tone, "So, how do you think he did it? gun? knife? big rock?" Oh that boychild of mine.

No comments: