Saturday, July 17, 2010

Growing Pains.

No, thankfully it's not the girlchild or the boychild this time. Although, it does seem like they are both about due, her more than him. This time it's me. Emotional growing pains. The sort that are not cured by a heating pad and a dose of Motrin. I have felt the tug and pull of relationships growing and in some cases fading recently. I tend to over think and try to figure out cause and reason but the simple fact is sometimes relationships are for a season. I am feeling the growing pains of raising children with incredibly different love languages and vastly differing disciplinary needs. It's a bit like riding a roller coaster. Some days I feel the thrill of the getcherbelly as I get something spot on right and other days I hold on for dear life as I go hurtling through parental corkscrews and barrel rolls. I am also feeling the growing pains of leaving the children alone for a week. I am so conflicted. I have never done this before so as I pack and get prepared to go for a week solo it feels a bit like being naked. I have not packed for one in a very long time. It feels foreign to pack ONE swimsuit and ONE blanket. No need for Flintstones or sparkle mint toothpaste on this trip. I have gathered my things and am loading my suitcase and wondering how exactly does one sleep w/o a Joshypot sneaking into your bed in the wee hours. I mean he knows the moment I get "lonely" and comes in to snuggle. Just ask him, he'll tell ya! Jeremy has so many things planned for their week, the perfect balance of "go & do" with "sit & be". Menu's have been made and secret fun has been planned. I can't wait to hear the tales that will be told when I return. Growing pains are uncomfortable. They are also necessary. I am not sure I'll grow as gracefully as I should but I here I go.....

1 comment:

Rose said...

Oh goodness Sweetie, I can't imagine your pains. My growing pains are still very preschool and toddler-ish.

Because you're the amazing woman you are, I think you will grow gracefully.

I don't know that I've ever said thank you. Thank you for always passing your wisdom and life lessons on.