Friday, March 26, 2010

My boy

Joshypot is a few weeks shy of being officially 5 1/2 years old. He was born second, the little brother from the moment he came into the world. He seemed to enjoy this spot, it was his spot after all. Kaity introduced herself to him in the hospital with a formal "Hello, My name is Kaity and I am going to be your big sister." having a big meant that he was the little. Sometimes he basks in the little. The little gets served first, the little gets a longer turn, the little fits more easily in the momma lap. Sometimes he bucks against it. The little NEVER gets to go around the block alone, the little has to go to bed earlier, the little never gets to pour drinks. He's also learning how to be gallant and gracious which sometimes collides with the will and want of the little within him. Kaity has this new gig being a mommy helper and I love that she has started to cultivate this business out of desire to save money and help others, but it leaves Joshypot stuck in the depths of the yucky little. He is too little to watch children, he's too little mow yards. He is currently waiting til we visit Gramma O'Day because she's asked if he thinks he could help her pick up sticks, since he's closer to the ground and can see them better. Gotta love a Gramma who can spin little into such a positive. However, this post was not meant to be about the little, it was meant to be about the transformation that happens when Kaity goes to work. She leaves and as the door closes Joshy becomes the big, not like he's wearing a sloppy shirt that doesnt fit but more like he completely fills up the room that was left by the big going elsewhere. He even sees it. Today we came home from dropping Kaity off and he went and retrieved the garbage can that is taller than he is from the curb, he wrestled it all the way to the fence and put it away. He then played in the garage but left the door open into the house incase I needed something. He came in and got my drink, just in case I was thirsty. He got himself an apple and brought me one too...and even let me pick mine first. He ate his apple with gusto then decided he might need to switch to a banana because they are soft and apples make his teeth feel funny. *Let me interject here that when Kaity first had a loose tooth Joshua actually cried because he's the little and nothing good ever happens to him like getting new teeth. THEN he hit his mouth on the bathroom cabinet while breakdancing *and* brushing his teeth (a combo not to be repeated in this house) and his tooth was loose and he cried because he was scared of being the big too soon.* I asked him if his tooth was loose and he put down the apple and wiggled it. It moved, slightly at first and then a little more. His eyes grew wide with excitement and he was so thrilled that his tooth was loose! I smiled at him and said "wow buddy you're getting big!" to which he replied "nah, I think I'm just getting medium"
Medium is bittersweet to this momma.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I'm the little, I'll always be the little... even at 27 I can never catch up to the big

Lindy said...

I'm amazed at how your children think... but then reading how you tell your stories, I shouldn't be. Glad Joshua is getting to be medium! :)