Friday, June 18, 2010

A red headed baby.

Odds are if you asked me while I was pregnant with Kaity what I wanted that was the answer you got. She was born and the dream of our family of two growing was realized. Her little round head has bald but for the red fuzz that made my heart sing. When she was born she was whisked away to the nicu for a bit because she, like her momma, has a flair for the dramatic entrance. My nurse used her coming back as a bartering tool. I could have my baby if I ate my lunch. I could have my baby if I took a shower. Now I realize how funny that is but at the time I actually ate my lunch and offered my tray to the nurse with a questioning look. I passed! I took a shower and hurried to dress. I came into my room and sat waiting to get my baby. She promised. A little while later in came my husband turned Daddy in a moment pushing our bundle of prayers. Jeremy had gone with her to the nicu and not left her side. He, from the moment she was born, was her protector. He handed her to me and I looked at this little burrito of a girl. I hadn't gotten to inspect her. I asked the nurse "Can I take off her blanket?" "Can I take off her hat?" "Can I nurse her?" I mean I already had to eat a sandwich to get to SEE her! As I undressed her and got to lay my eyes on that fuzzy round head I think it started to sink in. After years of aching, longing, praying, pleading, asking, wanting, hoping, dreaming, I was a Mom. She was patient as we learned all the things we needed to know. She still is patient and we still are learning. She is kind and gentle like her father, she is loud and goofy like me. She is everything. We are thankful. Life is good.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Way to make a girl cry first thing in the morning! Happy Birthday Kaity girl!!!