Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ice cream theology

Kaity is a thoughtful girl, she asks questions that I have to mull over before answering. I don't want to bluff my way through but rather give her sound answers as she is building her own cache of knowledge. On the way home from Mattoon this weekend she asked if clouds had weight, if they did how did they stay in the sky since gravity should pull them down. Seriously, I don't think I have EVER wondered how clouds stay in the sky. She and Jeremy talked for probably 20 minutes in depth about it as I sat in awe of the way her mind works. Today she asked me about religions. She wanted to know what the difference was between catholics (which she pronounced cath-o-hol-ics) and lutherans and what exactly we would be considered. Joshua piped up and started wondering the same thing so this morning we decided that your relationship with Jesus is ice cream. We love ice cream, Kaity likes hers with toppings while Joshypot prefers his plain. We talked about how the different religions are toppings. some people feel more comfortable worshipping Jesus with people who only like the same toppings. She asked what topping we were, I said we go to a non denominational church which means that we just love ice cream. We worship in a place where different toppings are welcomed and embraced. We talked about how the fundamentally important part is that we have a relationship with Jesus. I think they got it, and I hope I didn't botch anything too much. Whew......whatta morning!

2 comments:

Rose said...

That is soooo cool! What an amazing lesson. I love it when B asks about Jesus!

~Gretchen~ said...

Wonderful way to explain it. :)